Skip to main content

News Room

This is the latest news from SCCAP. For more information, please contact Doug Wilson, Director of Communications and Development at

SCCAP now accepting winter energy assistance program applications

The time when low-income households in Brown, Monroe, Morgan and Owen counties may apply for assistance with winter energy costs is here.

The South Central Community Assistance Program (SCCAP) began accepting applications on Nov. 4 for assistance with winter heating and the purchase of bulk fuel. Applications and other program materials are available on the Energy Assistance page at

Eligibility for the Energy Assistance program is based on gross household income -- household size- maximum annual income: 1-$17,235; 2-$23,265; 3-$29,295; 4-$35,325; 5-$41,355.

The purpose of the Energy Assistance Program is to help keep members of low-income families safe and healthy, and assist them in achieving energy self-sufficiency and avoiding utility disruptions.

Customers are encouraged to control energy costs and identify strategies which allow them to pay their future energy bills. SCCAP will offer its energy education workshop for those who want to participate. Participants will receive information on staying warm while reducing utility costs.

Each household applying for the Energy Assistance Program will need to provide income documentation for the past 12 months for all household members ages 18 and older, current heat and electric bills, social security cards and lease information for those who rent.

For additional information about energy assistance, the public should call one of the following offices: Monroe County, 812-339-3447; Brown County, 812-988-6636; Morgan County, 812-342-1518; Owen County, 812-829-2279.

SCCAP is also seeking applicants for its Weatherization Program. The Weatherization Program reduces energy consumption in low-income households and insures that each client has a safe, operating heat source. Each client receives a furnace inspection and an energy audit.SCCAP uses private contractors to repair or replace heat sources, install insulation and seal the homes. The program is federally funded and is free to participants in Brown, Monroe, Morgan and Owen counties.

To be eligible to have your owner-occupied or rental home weatherized, your household income must not exceed 200 percent of federal poverty guidelines. The income limits by family size are: 1 person in household – up to $22,980; 2 people - $31,020; 3 people – $39,060; 4 people – $47,100; 5 people - $55,140; 6 people - $63,180. For apartment buildings to be weatherized, two-thirds of the occupants must be eligible for the program and all units in the building must be weatherized. To apply, call 812-339-3447, ext. 275.