Skip to main content

News Room

This is the latest news from SCCAP. For more information, please contact Doug Wilson, Director of Communications and Development at

Energy Assistance Program for low-income households to begin on Nov. 3

The South Central Community Action Program (SCCAP) will begin accepting applications on Nov. 3 for assistance with winter heating and the purchase of bulk fuel.

Each household applying for the Energy Assistance Program will need to provide income documentation for the past 12 months for all household members ages 18 and older, current heat and electric bills, social security cards and a landlord affidavit form for those who rent.

Applications and other program materials are available on the Energy Assistance page at

“We are making every effort to make this year’s program as efficient and customer friendly as possible,” SCCAP Energy Assistance & Family Development Program Manager Thomas Hartnett said. “We expect to serve over 4,000 households this winter, which means our offices will be extremely busy at times. We encourage applicants to bring the required documents with them to the office in their county and we will do our best to help them apply for assistance as quickly and easily as we can.”

SCCAP has received an initial allocation of $2,222,560 in federal funding from the Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority (IHCDA) for energy assistance this winter. Last year, SCCAP served more than 3,900 households.

Eligibility for the Energy Assistance program is based on gross household income -- household size- maximum annual income: 1-$17,505; 2-$23,595; 3-$29,685; 4-$35,775; 5-$41,865.

The purpose of the Energy Assistance Program is to help keep members of low-income families safe and healthy, and assist them in achieving energy self-sufficiency and avoiding utility disruptions.   

Customers are encouraged to control energy costs and identify strategies which allow them to pay their future energy bills. SCCAP will offer its energy education workshop for those who want to participate. Participants will receive information on staying warm while reducing utility costs.

Energy Assistance - Things to Remember

  • Starting 2014-15, the Energy Assistance Program will only offer benefits if the utility is in the name of an adult household resident, age 18 and over.
  • All EAP benefits are not final until submitted to the utility vendor for payment. Benefit amounts are subject to change pending review by the local community action agency.
  • Actual payment of your EAP benefits may take up to 120 days from the application date.
  • Even though you are getting help with your utility bills, EAP benefits will not cover them completely. So YOU must keep paying on your bills throughout the year. 
  • Once you are approved for EAP, some utility companies are regulated by a state law that says you can’t be disconnected from December 1st through March 15th. However, you may be disconnected before December 1st or after March 15th if your financial obligation with utility vendor exceeds the amount of your EAP benefit. 
  • Remember that EAP is only helping you with your heating bills. You still need to keep your water, sewage, rent, and phone bills current.
  • If you are having trouble keeping your bills current, talk to a case manager at the community action agency. If your utilities are currently past due, talk with your utility company to see if you qualify for a payment arrangement that will bring the bill current over time.
  • Weatherization services may help reduce your energy consumption. Ask what you can do to conserve energy and how the weatherization program might help you.

For additional information about energy assistance, the public should call one of the following offices: Monroe County, 812-339-3447; Brown County, 812-988-6636; Morgan County, 812-342-1518; Owen County, 812-829-2279.  Offices are located at 746 Memorial Drive in Nashville, 1500 W. 15th Street in Bloomington, 133 W. Washington Street in Martinsville and 145 N. Harrison Street in Spencer.

SCCAP is also seeking applicants for its Weatherization Program. The Weatherization Program reduces energy consumption in low-income households and insures that each client has a safe, operating heat source. Each client receives a furnace inspection and an energy audit.  SCCAP uses private contractors to repair or replace heat sources, install insulation and seal the homes. The program is federally funded and is free to participants in Brown, Monroe, Morgan and Owen counties.

To be eligible to have your owner-occupied or rental home weatherized, your household income must not exceed federal poverty guidelines. To apply, call 812-339-3447, ext. 224.